Jen’s visual artefact

lifestreamcabinethere’s a screenshot – but clicking through to the link below makes it (a bit) interactive.

Comments (10)

1. tracy wrote::

Oo the pleasure of rummaging through someone’s drawers is not lessened by having their permission to do so. Much fun, thank you. Also gave me new ideas on how to use my life stream better. I hope Sarah notices this as it has a very ‘patchwork quilt’ feel – could have used that motif instead of cabinet. ^^

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 10:04 am #
  2. Sarah Payne wrote::

I loved this piece – and I can’t believe how witty we have been!!! Seeing all of these quotes in one place, alongside ‘proper’ quotes (and my that I mean academically accepted quotes by Poster et al) seems to give them additional meaning. Funny that!

And yes Tracy – it did make me think of the quilt too :)

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 9:27 pm #
  3. Tony McNeill wrote::

Hi Jen, this is lovely, lovely, lovely. Great experiment with typography at the top. I’ve got a worry about the concept of the cabinet of curiosities as a concept though which I’m gonna blog about.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 8:07 am #
  4. jen wrote::

A quilt would have been fantastic, Tracy – I should have thought of that, since I like quilting! And Sarah, I am being struck often by the great things that course participants are saying. The stuff that goes in to my lifestream tends to be things that either make me laugh or surprise me. I haven’t had a chance to add any for a few days but must get back to it.

Tony, I used the spell with Flickr tool for the typograpy – http://metaatem.net/words/ . Really enjoying your blog post about the cabinet metaphor – http://digitalculture-ed.net/tonym/2009/10/15/worrying-about-the-cabinet-of-curiosities/ – expect comments from me soon!

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 10:29 am #
  5. billb wrote::

Wonderful, Jen! I especially liked it because I have an old typesetter’s tray in my office and use it to collect small toys and curiosities from the places I’ve traveled to.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 12:55 pm #
  6. silvanad wrote::

Jen, this piece is amazing. It has helped me conceptualize better what the lifestream is doing. I don’t quite like the linear form of the lifestream but I love the way you have organized your lifestream bits within a cabinet. I agree with others about seeing it as a patchwork quilt. As a quilt it could have an overall gestalt in addition to the individual bits. I wonder what other ways the stream can be conceptualized?

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 4:35 pm #
  7. jen wrote::

Thanks, Bill and Silvana! Silvana, I’m also interested in other lifestream metaphors – if I had more video skills I might have tried something water-like (like Mas did – http://www.flickr.com/photos/masnizasore/4018245825/ ) :-)

Sunday, October 18, 2009 at 11:36 am #
  8. I really loved this and badly need to look at the source for the page again since I’m jealous of how you’ve blended the images, links and cabinet together ;)

Like Bill I have a typesetters drawer btw (though mine is awaiting a few mods to make it a bead paradise). Maybe this course is particularly of interest to us hoarders and collectors since the lifestream is so much about picking exciting things up on our travels.

I really liked how you pulled various parts of the course so far together – it also had narcissistic sharing appeal since I wanted to click through and see who had said what and (if I’m being honest) if I would feature ;)

Sunday, October 18, 2009 at 5:34 pm #
  9. jen wrote::

Nicola, I did really seriously consider not using student quotes because I was worried about how being included/not included might be perceived. But I just think you all are so brilliant that I can’t resist. Anyway, now that I have been handed my parasol and my shrunken head, I think all will be well. :-)

Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 4:19 pm #
  10. The multicoloured parasol does suit your shrunken head very nicely :-)

Monday, October 26, 2009 at 12:28 am #